I love speaking to groups of students, postdocs, faculty members, and professional colleagues. If you’d like to book me for your event, get in touch.
On this page you’ll find detailed information about the types of events I do, the topics I can cover, and my fees and expenses. For a current résumé of previous speaking engagements click here.
- Rethinking success after graduate school
- My own journey from PhD to life coach
- Professional development for graduate students
- Beginning a non-faculty job search
- Pursuing non-faculty jobs – overview
- Working beyond the professoriate
- Freelancing, self-employment, and entrepreneurship
- Workshops and facilitated group discussions
- Formal presentations with accompanying PowerPoint
- Keynote-style talks
- Panel discussions, both as a panelist and as a facilitator
- Graduate student organizations
- Postdoc affairs offices and unions
- University career services and professional development offices
- Student affairs events
- Professional and entrepreneurial networks
- Academic and professional conferences
- Career conferences and events for graduate students and PhDs
- Academic departments and faculties
Fees and Expenses
Speaking and workshop facilitation are services I provide as part of my business. Event fees range from $750 to $2,500 and up, and vary depending on location, audience size, and other factors. If your event isn’t in or near Toronto, fees will be at the higher end of the range; expenses are extra. Have a limited budget? Let me know and we’ll see what we can work out.
Note that I must charge Canadian tax as appropriate for work performed in Canada.
For more detailed information about expenses, click below:
I am based in Toronto, Canada and do not have a vehicle. Event organizers agree to cover the cost of major travel expenses, either by booking the trip for me (and paying directly) or by reimbursing me for doing it myself. For additional travel costs, such as cab fare to and from airports and to your event location, I will collect receipts and you can reimburse me. We can discuss specifics.
For most events in Toronto, the GTA, or southern Ontario I won’t need overnight hotel accommodation. In all other cases I likely will. Event organizers agree to pay the cost of any required hotel accommodation. Usually, clients book a room and pay for my stay on my behalf.
For events beyond Toronto and the GTA, I may request a per diem for meals. Event organizers often take me out for lunch or dinner, and I’m happy to continue that tradition! Should I need additional meals or snacks while travelling to or from your event, we can arrange either reimbursement or an additional per diem in addition to my speaking fee.
Event organizers will cover the costs or any printing (for event handouts, as desired) or A/V expenses.
Canadian taxes: I am required by law to charge GST or HST to Canadian clients. The tax rate depends on where the service is performed. 13% HST in Ontario, 5% GST in British Columbia, 15% HST in Nova Scotia, etc.
Total Cost to Organizer
- My event fee ($750 – $2,500+, plus any taxes)
- Travel (flights, taxis, etc.)
- Accommodation (hotel, as required)
- Meals (per diem, as required)
- Other expenses (printing costs or A/V rental, as required)